OLIVE BUTTER DINNER ROLLS
Olive butter dinner rolls are the softer ones I’ve ever tasted. The potato starch they have in the dough makes them fluffy and tasty.
First time I saw this recipe was in the cook blog Chipa by the Dozen , an amazing blog with a lot of authentic latin recipes, specially Bolivian recipes and Paraguayan recipes. Her recipes are always real latin recipes, and the step by step easy to follow.
To add some salt flavor to the dinner rolls I baked them with green and black olives butter with some anchovies. It gives the rolls a tasty and flavorful touch.
How to add potato to my bread dough?We can choose between two options: First option is peel and bol our potatoes to have our homemade mashed potatoes. This is the option used by Chipa by the Dozen in the original recipe. Second option is to add potato starch. You can find it in some shops in Spain, specially in Mallorca, where is used for many baked goods, as Valldemossa cakes, that’s why I had at home and used potato starch.
How to prepare olives butter?
This is the easiest recipe ever. You just need to use your blender or kitchen robot to grind some pitted olives and add the butter, you can also add some anchovies at the end.
Flavored butters are perfect for your dinner tables, I love garlic and fresh herbs butter, here is the link for the one I use to prepare my garlic herb twist bread.
If you are not using olives butter with the recipe you can add one teaspoon of salt more to the dough.
Wich flour do I need to bake soft dinner rolls?
Bread flour, the 00 bread flour you can find in many supermarkets.
How to freeze my potato dinner rolls?
You can freeze them freshly baked and defrost them whenever you need.
Olive Butter Dinner Rolls
- 4 cups Bread flour
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt Or 2 if you're not adding olives butter
- 1 teaspoon Dry active yeast Or 15g fresh yeast
- 1 cup Milk Room temperature
- 1/4 cup Melted butter
- 1/2 cup Mashed potatoes Or potato starch
- 1 unit Egg
- 1 cup Butter
- 2 tablespoon Pitted black olives
- 2 tablespoon Pitted green olives
- 4 units Anchovies
- If you don’t have potato starch you can start boiling your peeled potatoes to prepare mashed potatoes and set aside.
- If we use instant yeast dissolve it in the milk and let it rest for some minutes.
- Now you can add the bread flour, the salt, the sugar and the milk and mix it well.
- Add the egg and the yeast and start kneading.
- Knead by hand or using your kitchen robot until you have a nice dough.
- Still kneading and add the melted butter, keep kneading until you have a nice dough that doesn’t stick to your hands.
- Grease a bowl to place the dough and let it rise covered for one hour.
- Form 12 small rolls with the dough and fill them with olive butter (optional) and let it rise for another hour in your baking tray. You can also add the olive butter between the small bread rolls.
- Preheat your oven 356º Fahrenheit (180º Celsius).
- Brush your potato dinner rolls with butter.
- Baked for 15-20 minutes, depending on your oven, until they look golden and baked.
- Let the potato dinner rolls cool for some minutes and enjoy!